APEC China 2014
|APEC China 2014|
APEC China 2014 Delegates
|Venue(s)||International Conference Center, Beijing|
This was the first APEC meeting for Indonesian President Joko Widodo, Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and Chilean President Michelle Bachelet (in her comeback) since their inaugurations on 20 October 2014, 22 May 2014 and 11 March 2014, respectively.
It will also be the last APEC meeting for Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott (who stepped down on September 15, 2015 following the 2015 Australian leadership spill) and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper (who stepped down on November 4, 2015 following the 2015 Canadian federal election).
China attempted to prevent Beijing's frequent smog from occurring during the meeting through various measures, including limiting driving and closing down factories in Beijing and the surrounding province of Hebei. The air was clear towards the beginning of the APEC week, but was predicted to be somewhat smoggy during the summit itself. The efforts created somewhat of a backlash among internet users, with the phrase "APEC blue" being coined to satirically refer to something fleeting.
Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had a highly anticipated face-to-face meeting on November 10. Both leaders were described as looking noticeably dour in the photos of them taken prior to the meeting.
On November 12, Xi and Obama announced that their two nations would work to reduce greenhouse gases. The United States would cut their 2005 carbon emissions by 26% to 28% by 2025, while China would peak their carbon emissions by 2030 and strive to achieve 20% of its energy from sources that do not produce carbon emissions. This agreement marks the first time that China agreed to peak its carbon emissions.
- Tangzhuang, the Chinese jacket given to world leaders at the event
- Ninth East Asia Summit in Naypyidaw, Myanmar (held 12–13 November 2014, 13 of the 20 leaders met there again[a])
- 2014 G-20 Brisbane summit in Brisbane, Australia (held 15–16 November 2014, nine of the 20 leaders met there again[b])
- The leaders/representatives of Australia, Brunei, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, United States, and Vietnam met there as members in both organizations.
- Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Russia, South Korea and the United States are members in both organizations.
- "Int'l summits to dominate Jokowi's early weeks". The Jakarta Post.
- "Michelle Bachelet sworn in as Chile's president". BBC News. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- Jake Adelstein (11 November 2014). "Beijing's 'Star Trek' APEC Summit". The Daily Beast.
- "Letter to Obama: Don't be fooled if Beijing's skies are blue". Washington Post.
- "China's APEC summit measures leave Beijing with cleaner air". Los Angeles Times. 4 November 2014.
- "Beijing May Face Smoggy APEC Summit Despite Cleanup Efforts". Bloomberg News. 5 November 2014.
- "China state media defends APEC blue skies". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 2014-11-08.
- "Beijing bans Halloween costumes on subway ahead of APEC". Reuters.
- Jonathan Kaiman. "Japan's Abe and China's Xi hold ice-breaking meeting as Apec starts". the Guardian.
- "Student leaders may try to crash Apec summit in Beijing to seek talks". South China Morning Post.
- Mia Lamar (3 November 2014). "Hong Kong Students Plan Beijing Protest". The Wall Street Journal.
- Chris Buckley; Alan Wong. "Hong Kong Activists Kept From Flying to Beijing". The New York Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to APEC China 2014.|
APEC Indonesia 2013
| APEC meetings
APEC Philippines 2015