APEC Peru 2016
|APEC Peru 2016|
APEC Peru 2016 delegates
Lima Convention Center, Lima
"Quality Growth and Human Development"
(Spanish: Crecimiento de Calidad y Desarrollo Humano)
APEC Peru 2016 (Spanish: APEC Perú 2016) was the XXVIII year-long hosting of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings in Peru, which was culminate with the XXIV APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in 19–20 November 2016 in Lima. It marked the second time Peru played host to the APEC, previously hosting in 2008.
Four priority areas were laid out as topics to be discussed for the 2016 APEC summit. These are Human Capital Development, Upgrading SMEs, Regional Food Market, and Regional Economic Integration Agenda. These subjects were chosen to build upon on the discussions from the previous APEC summit in the Philippines.
On 29 January 2016, the Peruvian President Ollanta Humala said that the theme of the APEC Summit is "Quality Growth and Human Development". The architecture of the ancient city of Caral serves as the inspiration for the official logo of the APEC summit.
Economic Leaders' Meeting
Prior to the Economic Leaders' Meeting, South Korean President Park Geun-hye and Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha decided not to attend in the occasion citing their attendance to address their own domestic issues such as the North Korean nuclear program, as well the 2016 South Korean political scandal and the death and mourning of King Bhumibol Adulyadej, respectively. Park was represented by Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn, while Chan-ocha was represented by his Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong. Indonesian President Joko Widodo also did not attend the summit for the second time consecutively and was again replaced by Vice President Jusuf Kalla; the two had agreed that Widodo would only attend larger global scale conferences while Kalla would attend smaller regional scale conferences like APEC.
This was the first APEC meeting for Vietnamese President Trần Đại Quang, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and the host, Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski since their inaugurations on 2 April 2016, 30 June 2016 and 28 July 2016, respectively.
It was also the last APEC meeting for United States President Barack Obama (who stepped down on January 20, 2017 following the 2016 U.S. presidential election and the inauguration of Donald Trump), as well as Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung (who stepped down on July 1, 2017 following the 2017 Hong Kong election) and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key (who stepped down on December 12, 2016 following his resignation).
Sideline and bilateral meetings
Aside from the Economic Leaders' Meeting itself, some leaders met with each other in separate bilateral meetings within the week of the leaders' meet. The meeting's host, Peruvian President Pedro Kuczynski, also hosted state visits at the Government Palace for Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Russian President Vladimir Putin had bilateral meetings with the leaders from China, Japan, Philippines, and Vietnam. He also held bilateral meeting with Kuczynski. South Korean Prime Minister also held a bilateral meeting with Kuczynski.
U.S. President Barack Obama held a bilateral meeting with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
On a sideline meeting about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TTP), President Barack Obama briefed leaders of signatory states of the partnership about the status of the treaty, and its support by the US Congress and businessmen. A consensus was reach among the signatory states that the TTP must be realized and will only look for an alternative if the United States later decides not to take part of it. There were concerns over the fate of the treaty due to incoming U.S. President Donald Trump's opposition to the deal. It is reported that if either Japan or the United States back out the treaty won't push through. New Zealand Prime Minister John Key proposed making "cosmetic changes" to make the deal more acceptable to Trump.
- "Venues". APEC Perú 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "APEC 2016: Peru outlines priorities ahead of Asia-Pacific summit". Andina. 30 January 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "APEC Peru 2016 eyes quality growth, human development". Shanghai Daily. Xinhua. 30 January 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Peru's Caral architecture inspires APEC Peru 2016 logo". Andina. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Perú será sede de Cumbre APEC en el 2016, anunció canciller" [Peru will host the APEC Summit in 2016, announced by Foreign Minister]. El Comercio. Empresa Editora El Comercio. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "President: Hosting APEC 2016 confirms Peruvian economy is strong (Full Story)". Andina. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Peru creates APEC Multisectoral Group". Andina. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Leaders want TPP to become a reality, too premature to look at other options". Astro Awani Network Sdn. Bhd. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Park, Ju-min (8 November 2016). "South Korea's Park, rocked by scandal at home, to miss APEC summit". Reuters. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Prajin to be at Apec summit in Peru for PM". Bangkok Post. 16 November 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Halim, Haeril (November 19, 2016). "Kalla arrives in Peru to attend APEC trade summit". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Labor wants a better deal for workers in trade deals". The Australian Financial Review. 15 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to travel to Cuba, Argentina, and Peru". Office of the Prime Minister of Canada. 8 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Xi Jinping to Pay State Visits to Ecuador, Peru and Chile and Attend the 24th APEC Economic Leaders' Summit in Lima". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China. 9 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Abe to meet Colombian president on APEC sidelines in Peru: source". Kyodo News. 15 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016 – via The Japan Times.
- "S. Korea's PM to attend APEC gathering in place of president". Yonhap News. 17 November 2016.
- Abdullah, Zuraimi; Rasid, Amir Hisyam (14 November 2016). "Apec meet to focus on services trade". New Straits Times. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Prime Minister John Key cancels trip to Argentina following earthquake". The New Zealand Herald. 14 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Ramos, Marlon (November 14, 2016). "Duterte flies to Lima, Peru this week". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved November 15, 2016.
- "Barack Obama confirmó asistencia a cumbre de mandatarios de la APEC en Lima" (in Spanish trans-title=Barack Obama confirms attendance at the APEC Leader's Summit in Lima). Peru21. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Japan Leader to pay official visit to Peru". Andina. 18 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Chinese president arrives in Peru for APEC meeting, state visit". Xinhua News Agency. 19 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Putin participates in several meeting at APEC summit in Peru". Vestnik Kavkaza. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Korea, Peru push for stronger business ties at APEC meeting". The Korea Times. Yonhap. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Beatty, Andrew (20 November 2016). "Xi says US-China ties at 'hinge moment'". Agence France-Presse. Retrieved 20 November 2016 – via ABS-CBN News.
- Press, Jordan (19 November 2016). "Trump, future of Pacific trade pact on agenda for Trudeau, Obama at APEC summit in Peru". The Star. The Canadian Press. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Media related to APEC Peru 2016 at Wikimedia Commons
APEC Philippines 2015
| APEC meetings
APEC Vietnam 2017