Al Hamra Tower
|Al Hamra Tower|
Al Hamra Tower in November 2011
|Former names||Al Hamra Firduos Tower|
|Tallest in Kuwait since 2011[I]|
|Preceded by||Arraya Tower|
|Type||Offices, Shopping mall|
|Address||13085 Jaber Al-Mubarak Street|
|Town or city||Kuwait City|
|Elevation||12 m (39 ft)|
|Owner||Al Hamra Real Estate Co.|
|Architectural||414 m (1,358 ft)|
|Tip||414 m (1,358 ft)|
|Roof||368 m (1,207 ft)|
|Design and construction|
Gary Paul Haney or Callison|
Skidmore Owings & Merrill
|Structural engineer||Skidmore Owings & Merrill|
BMT Fluid Mechanics Ltd.|
|Main contractor||Ahmadiah Contracting and Trading Company|
|Awards and prizes||2012 Best Tall Building Middle East & Africa Finalist|
Construction of the skyscraper started in 2005. It was completed in 2011. Designed by architectural firms Skidmore, Owings, Merrill and Ramshir and Callison, it is the tallest building in Kuwait, the tallest carved concrete skyscraper in the world, and the twenty-third tallest building in the world at 414 m (1,358 ft). As of January 29, 2018, it became the twenty-eighth tallest building after the Lakhta Center in St. Petersburg Russia, reached the design height.
The building utilizes wrapped glass facades on the east, north, and west both for aesthetics and to reduce the amount of reflective surface area on the south facade, which would be exposed to the most intense solar radiation in a region where temperatures can easily exceed 115 degrees Fahrenheit. the south facade also features brushed Jura limestone. Flared walls reaching from the southwest and southeast corners of the core span the entire height of the tower, and there is a column-free 24-meter-tall lobby
- 2011: Emporis Skyscraper Award
- 2010: Cityscape • Commercial / Mixed Use Built
- 2008: Chicago Athenaeum - American Architecture Award
- 2008: Chicago Athenaeum - International Architecture Award for best new global design
- 2008: MIPIM/Architectural Review - MIPIM Future Project Award: Overall
- 2008: MIPIM/Architectural Review - MIPIM Future Project Award: Tall Buildings
- 2007: Miami Architectural Bienal - Bronze Unbuilt Project
- "Al Hamra Tower - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com.
- "Al Hamra Firdous Tower, Kuwait City". www.ctbuh.org. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- "AIA New York Chapter : 2013 Design Awards Winners". aiany.aiany.org. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- "Al Hamra Tower". SOM. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- GmbH, Emporis. "Emporis Skyscraper Award 2011 - Emporis Skyscraper Award - EMPORIS". www.emporis.com.
- Infos at designbuild-network.com
- "2008 American Architecture Award (The Chicaco Athenaeum)". chi-athenaeum.org.
- "2008 International Architecture Awards (The Chicaco Athenaeum)". chi-athenaeum.org.
- "Protek - The Intelligent Underfloor Air Conditioning System". www.wmprotek.com.
- "Infos at som.com". som.com.