Blaise Diagne International Airport
|Blaise Diagne International Airport|
Aéroport International Blaise Diagne
|Owner||Government of Senegal|
|Elevation AMSL||289.59 ft / 88.27 m|
The Blaise Diagne International Airport (French: Aéroport international Blaise Diagne, IATA: DSS, ICAO: GOBD) is an international airport near the town of Diass, Senegal, 27 miles east of downtown Dakar. It serves as a new airport for Dakar, replacing Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport, which became too small. Regular flights are operated from it to destinations across many parts of Africa, as well as to Europe, Macaronesia, the Middle East, and the USA.
The airport was originally expected to be operational at the end of the year 2011, but this date was pushed back by almost a year in September of that year. In September 2012, Senegalese Prime Minister Abdoul Mbaye announced that the airport would open in the first quarter of 2014. In January 2015, word spread that the airport would open in June 2015. In April 4, 2015 Reuters announced a new opening date for early 2016.
The airport opened for scheduled operations on December 7, 2017.
Airlines and destinations
^1 : Turkish Airlines's flight from Istanbul–Atatürk to Dakar stops in Nouakchott, but the flight from Dakar to Istanbul is nonstop. Turkish Airlines does not have local traffic rights on the NKC – DSS sector.
|Lufthansa Cargo||São Paulo–Guarulhos, Campinas-Viracopos|
|Kalitta Air||São Paulo–Guarulhos|
- "L'aéroport Blaise Diagne sera livré en fin 2011 (ministre)" (in French). Seneweb.com. 2 December 2010. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "L'Aeroport International Blaise Diagne opérationnel au second semestre de 2012 (ministre)". APS (in French). Seneweb.com. 19 September 2011. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- "Senegal's second international airport ready in 2014". Panapress. 11 September 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Aidara, Ismael (19 September 2011). "Sénégal : Saudi Bin Laden sur le tarmac de l'aéroport Blaise Diagne". Seneweb.com (in French). Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- Carley Petesch. "Senegal opens new international airport with economic hopes". AP. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Fly Mid Africa Airline starts operations May 15, 2017". thepoint.gm. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Vueling operará siete nuevas rutas desde Barcelona en verano, entre ellas, a Jerez de la Frontera". 20 Minutos. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.