Elk Grove Township, Cook County, Illinois
|Elk Grove Township|
|Motto(s): "Empowering People Through Community"|
Location in Cook County
Cook County's location in Illinois
|• Total||28.0 sq mi (72.5 km2)|
|• Land||27.6 sq mi (71.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2) 1.48%|
|Elevation||705 ft (215 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||92,491|
|• Density||3,319/sq mi (1,281.4/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60005, 60007, 60008, 60016, 60018, 60056, 60067, 60173|
According to the United States Census Bureau, Elk Grove Township covers an area of 28.0 square miles (72.5 km2); of this, 27.6 square miles (71.4 km2) is land and 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), or 1.48 percent, is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Arlington Heights
- Elk Grove Village
- Mount Prospect
- Rolling Meadows
- Schaumburg (east edge)
- Wood Dale
- Des Plaines (west edge)
- Wheeling Township (north)
- Maine Township (east)
- Addison Township, DuPage County (south)
- Bloomingdale Township, DuPage County (southwest)
- Schaumburg Township (west)
- Palatine Township (northwest)
The township contains Elk Grove Cemetery.
- Interstate 90
- Interstate 290
- U.S. Route 14
- Illinois Route 53
- Illinois Route 58
- Illinois Route 62
- Illinois Route 72
- Illinois Route 83
- Fountain Lake
- Fred Hasse Lake
- Busse Woods Forest Preserve (vast majority)
- O'Hare International Airport
- United States Highway Army Reserve Center, Arlington Heights
- Elk Grove High School
- Rolling Meadows High School
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- City of Chicago School District 299
- Township High School District 214
- Community Consolidated School District 59
- Illinois' 6th congressional district
- State House District 65
- State House District 66
- State Senate District 33
Elk Grove Township formerly had the corporate headquarters of United Airlines. In 2006 United Airlines announced that it would be moving its headquarters and its 350 top executives from Elk Grove Township to 77 West Wacker Drive in the Chicago Loop. After the City of Chicago gave additional financial incentives, United proceeded to schedule a move of its remaining employees out of the former Elk Grove Township headquarters into the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) in Chicago in the northern hemisphere of fall 2010. Monica Davey of The New York Times said that the move may have contributed to United's decision to base the new merged airline out of Chicago instead of Houston. The former headquarters is now a part of Mount Prospect, which annexed the land in the 2010s.
- "Elk Grove Township, Cook County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Elk Grove township, Cook County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- Corfman, Thomas A., Greg Hinz, and Julie Jonsson. "United HQ heading for Chicago." Crain's Chicago Business. July 13, 2006. Retrieved on November 12, 2009.
- "United Airlines Foundation." United Airlines. February 5, 2006. Retrieved on March 11, 2009.
- "Chicago Wins Prize as Home of Big Carrier." The New York Times. May 4, 2010. Retrieved on October 1, 2010.
- "Mount Prospect annexes part of United campus". Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Illinois). 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Mount Prospect annexes United property, 44 more acres". Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Illinois). 2017-01-19. Retrieved 2017-07-08.